There’s nothing like a new season to make me want to overhaul my wardrobe as well as my bathroom cupboard (when I say bathroom cupboard, I also mean all the other boxes of skincare I have around my flat).
So last Sunday I literally emptied everything on to the sofa for a really good sort out. This is what it looked like:
I categorised products into:
- things I use every day
Only the ‘things I use every day’ and ‘body’ category got to stay in the bathroom cupboard. My logic around this is that I use treatments and masks when I actually want/need to. Having everything in the bathroom cupboard means there’s less consistency in my routine and it’s a bit all over the place.
So what made it into the ‘things I use every day’ category?
- Bioderma Crealine Lait (just finished my La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser)
- La Roche Posay Toleriane Moisturiser
- Omorovicza mist (not pictured)
- Beauty Pie Super Retinol Serum
- The Ordinary Niacinamide & Zinc serum
- Clarins Glow Drops face
- Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream
- Burts Bees Lip Balm
- Santokosmetik Lip Scrub & Lush Lip Scrub in Honey
- Beauty Pie UltraLight UVA/UVB Moisturiser (not pictured)
For some this may seem a lot, but this is what I use morning and evening.
‘Body’ is also in the bathroom cupboard because I don’t have a lot of things and I need to reach them post-shower. I’ve got the Body Shop Almond & Honey Scrub, body brush, and Ameliorate body cream on heavy rotation. As the weather is getting nicer, I recently picked up the Dove Dermaspa Summer Revival to give skin a bit of colour without having to go through the rigmarole of applying self tan all over (which requires much more attention to detail!)
‘Travel’ is all the sub-100ml products I have and anything related to holidays and sun. This is shampoo/conditioner, dry shampoo, deodorant, micellar water etc. It also includes self-tanning products and sun creams and the varying collection of wash bags. These are topped up from hotel stays and are easy to reach whether you’re going to the gym, staying over somewhere for a night or a full blown trip away.
‘Masks’ are as the name suggests all my masks: Dr Dennis Gross, Fresh, Caudalie, Zelens, Embryolisse, eye masks and other one-use sachets. By having these stored separately I only reach for them 1-2 a week.
I’m pretty loyal to the La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo Cleanser but I do keep other cleansers if my skin feels like it needs something different. So in the ‘cleansers’ category there’s: Bioderma Crealine Lait, DHC oil, Dermalogica pre-cleanse balm, Philosophy Purity.
Finally ‘treatments’. These are all the liquid and physical exfoliants that don’t need to be used on a daily basis (nor should they be) as well as additional retinols, samples of serums I haven’t opened and oils.
I keep all of these stored away in reusable bags or boxes:
Top tips for Spring cleaning (and I’m no Marie Kondo):
- Throw out what is old
- Throw out what you will definitely not use
- Don’t do this when your significant other is around who will judge you for the amount of products you have
- Do this regularly (not just once a year)
- Finish up products before buying new things (a resolution I am trying to keep to)